60s 70s early 80s Peel

festive50@... festive50@...
Sat Sep 30 02:22:39 CEST 2000

--- In peel@egroups.com, "John Bravin" <john.bravin@p...> wrote:
> This is pure nostalgia for the oldies.
> If you want to recall the early festivals Peel compered at,
> take a look at
> http://www.rockmusicposters.com/seeposters.htm
> I can remember most of the 1969 Bath Festival
> including Stan Webb of Chicken Shack being pelted
> from the audience, only to respond with the immortal line,
> 'Will the c***s who are throwing chicken bones f**k off'.
> Made a big impression on a young teenager.

Thanks for that URL John.
I went to the site and found poster for the Bath Festival the
following year(1970), which I went to. Which has prompted these
ramblings of an ageing hippy(it has a loose connection with Peely,
in that a friend I was with, claimed to have stood behind "yer man"
in a queue for some kind of macrobiotic rice dish). I must confess to
not remembering him compering the event. What I do remember though is
arriving at this field in Shepton Mallet in the pissing rain, with a
sleeping bag but no tent.  The night before a friend had arranged a
lift for me with a friend of his, whose father was driving him down,
his friend turned out to be the late Malcolm Owen of The Ruts. We
didn't have tickets but the guys on the gate were selling used
tickets for 50p.(a lot of dosh in those days).The line up as you see
from the site was predominantly U.S. West coast bands. Notable
exceptions were the opening act Maynard Ferguson's Big Band(this was
a Canadian mainstream Jazz band who prior to this festival was the
studio band/orchestra for Michael Parkinson's early chat shows to
this day I still don't know why he was on the bill). The 2nd act was
Donovan on whose appearance the sun magically appeared.  Pink Floyd
appeared about midnight with a male Welsh voice choir and 1 of the
earliest outside light shows, consisting of distress flares coming
down on tiny parachutes and illuminating the entire festival site.
I've still got the ticket and the price on it is 50/- (shillings  =
£2-50 to you younger readers). Also that year was the Hendrix
I.O.W.
festival,  where also I didn't have a ticket and sat on the top of
the downs overlooking the festival site awaiting the 1st appearance
of E.L.P. They didn't come on stage till 2.00am, in the meantime I'd
fallen asleep and awoke at the bottom of the downs several hours
after they'd finished.  However I did see Hendrix. Apologies again
for these ramblings of an ageing hippy,  however I've moved on and
still regularly listen to Peely.