[peel] another nail in the coffin

Maureen mozy@...
Mon May 29 00:51:15 CEST 2000

patrick@... wrote:

> For what it's worth I e-mailed Andy Parfitt and said pretty much what
> the rest of you have said: however, not knowing anything about the
> running or financing of individual programmes, I suggested that he
> could have financed a better deal for AK by firing (oops sorry,
> downsizing) two or three people out of the "posses". In no particular
> order, Comatose Dave off the truly shocking Moyles show, anybody who
> had a hand in the ZB show (they all got money for old rope for the
> duration of that fiasco) and any two out of the three dudes in The
> Dream Team. No offence, they're probably all nice enough folk if you
> met them in the street, but if any of these people were "disappeared"
> I hardly think there would be the fuss there is just now.

Nice maybe, but so commonplace. And that's the thing about DJs like Peel
and Kershaw: they offer something different from what is becoming the
norm at the BBC. For those of us who appreciate a more wide-ranging
choise of music, they occupy a special place and that's why we have the
current furore. After all, who kicked up a fuss when Zoe Ball left?

Maureen