[peel] olivia neutron bomb

Jan Buxton janb@...
Sat May 20 00:43:38 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <j.a.shaw@...>
To: <peel@egroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 11:56 AM
Subject: [peel] olivia neutron bomb

> John Peel's reference on Tuesday night to DLT and Olivia Neutron Bomb
> put me in mind of 'The Nation's Favourite', a history of Radio One by
> Simon Garfield(?).  It includes a chapter on Peel's show plus
> entertaining coverage of Walters/Peel's relationship with the
> more 'celebrity' DJs.  For those who lived through the dark years of
> DLT, Bates, Gary Davies - the horror, the horror - there's some
> wonderful moments.

Yep, it's a great book, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with a
healthy disregard for cheesy, poppy mainstream Radio1. It certainly
confirmed my every suspicion.
I remember the bit about management telling him not to play so much hip hop
and jungle because it was the music of the black criminal classes! Ah, the
BBC.

--
Jan