Everything sucks!

Tom Roche troche@...
Sat Jun 10 17:10:47 CEST 2000

At 7:30 AM -0400 6/10/0, martinw wrote:

>This is therefore going to happen at the same time as Andy's show was going
>to end before he walked out in a huff.

as Groucho Marx would say, if he's stayed a bit longer it would have been a minute and a huff.

>I don't agree with this
>increasingly narrow-minded marketing-based idea of what each station's
>coverage must be. The BBC should be expanding, not limiting the range of
>each station. The implication is that people are only interested in one
>narrow genre, that open-mindedness and willingness to expand your
>musical horizons does not exist, when that's surely what the BBC should
>be about rather than following the commercial model of focusing solely
>on one demographic.

That is very well said, and all I can add from across the pond is to be thankful for what you got, even if it seems to be sliding downhill a bit. Here in the Land of 10,000 radio stations, literally, open-mindedness and genre-crossing are long long LONG gone on all but a tiny handful of non-commercial stations. And those are mostly run by 19 year olds, which is fine dont get me wrong, but with a complete lack of context a Kershaw or a Peel brings to the scene.

In the Atlanta region with about 45 stations to pull in, it is pretty much a total wasteland, even with that amount of supposed "choice."

I have  24 presets in the car and only 3 get used regularly. All of them tiny hard-to-get thousand-watt MW stations - one in the north Georgia woods playing a rough-hewn often-despondent new-country format called "Americana," .....and two low budget black religious stations "south of the tracks" playing wild-to-manic gut wrenching hyper-speed screamin gospel, almost from another planet. The rest of my listening time goes to .... drum roll please... Peel and Kershaw tapes!

tom