Andy Kershaw

Jon Riley jonriley@...
Wed Jun 7 17:13:27 CEST 2000

While I agree with the weight of opinion on Andy's talents and value as a broadcaster, I'm sure Andy Parfitt is right when he says Kershaw does not fit the station's plans any more. If Radio 1 is indeed about "new music", then one can understand (if not agree with) the argument about excluding Kershaw's variety of (mostly "old") world music, while Peel, for example, always committed to ground-breaking stuff, is retained.
But - considering Kershaw's distinguished career, unique contribution and huge popularity - surely a definite role should have been found for him on Radios 2 3 or 4 before booting him off 1? It's not enough, as Parfitt has said, to have had a few "conversations" with the other controllers.
Personally I feel his rightful place is on Radio 3, the increasingly broad-minded home of serious musical culture. Jazz has opened a few windows recently in this previously stuffy station, and Kershaw would provide a welcome blast of sunshine. He should have a minimum of two hours a week - half an hour every evening would be ideal. And I'd wager that Kershaw fans would then find programs either side of his which might be far more to their taste than what has surrounded him on Radio 1.
Why is the impression given - through the treatment of his program in the past - that Kershaw is somehow "not one of us"? The BBC seems (finally) to treasure Peel. The mystery, to me, is why it does not treasure Kershaw equally.

Jon Riley