me

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Thu Jan 20 20:09:41 CET 2000

>The only stuff I've read so far seemed to be complaining about the
>contents of the all-time Festive 50. >Festive 50s are usually a source of
>some distress to me because they are innately conservative -
>there's never any reggae, very litle dance related stuff or much other
>than cutewhite kids strumming >guitars - and the all-time festive 50 is
>just plain dull - but it is the choice of listeners and not my choice, >so
>talk of there being, say, a token sex pistols track seems to have missed
>the point rather.
Mr. P is probably right, it does often seem like people here don't
understand how the F50 works, but that might well be down to some posters
not actually hearing the shows, I dunno. Or maybe they remember the
Peel-selected F50 of 1977 and have't been able to shake the triumph of the
Motors that year?
Cetainly the odd track by say the Sex Pistols isn't a token in this sense,
but again, if a band has one decent tune in their catalog (if White Town
appear in the chart they will be a rather good example!) then they might
indeed get all their fans voting for it. If they have a variety of tunes
but no one distinct 'best' one, say the Wedding Present, then there may be
a spread of their records in the lower reaches.
Anyway, that's kind of how I see it, but other posters are perhaps better
qualified to  comment on the machinations of the charts...

Sue McHugh
sue@...