me

Andy Smith andys@...
Thu Jan 20 13:18:42 CET 2000

Some newcomer to the list wrote:

> ... Festive 50s are usually a source of some distress to me because
> they are innately conservative - there's never any reggae, very litle
> dance related stuff or much other than cutewhite kids strumming
> guitars - and the all-time festive 50 is just plain dull ... John Peel

I heard this comment on the radio last week and almost e-mailed a
direct reply. I'm sure we could have a protracted debate on why it's
mostly guitar stuff that gets in (I reckon it's because dance stuff
can date more quickly, or people go for songs) and I admit to being
one of the guilty parties who voted for white kids strumming guitars,
but I don't listen to the show just to hear that kind of record. While
it's the guitar stuff that gets (most of) my votes, I listen so I can
hear drum'n'bass records as much as anything else. How about anyone else
on the list? Are we mostly fast forwarding through the dance stuff to
get to the next Fall track?

Despite it's predictability I'm finding the Festive 50 hugely enjoyable,
although it's an arduous task keeping up with the taping and listening
through each day. In a way I'll be pleased when both it and the
Peelennium are over with and we can hear more new stuff.

Andy