[peel] quiz nite

Dougal McKinnon d.mckinnon@...
Thu Dec 21 10:17:14 CET 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:50:26 +0000 Stuart McHugh <stuart@...>
wrote:

> Is it just the sad indie geek in me that leaves me surprised at the lack of
> F50 knowldge of today's young (and not so young pop) stars?
> I though the great nostalgia trip that was basically a bunch of golden Peel
> show oldies would have generated full marks from all the guests, but no...
> and even though I'm usually rotten at lyrics I seemed to be doing as well
> as any of the panellists.
> Other amusing moments - on David Gedge being asked a question on his own
> song, a Cocteau complained "well, our lyrics are hardly likely to come up"
> and asked for a clue to identify a band, Peel offered "they once lived with
> my mum for 6 months".
> And finally after an enormous silence as no-one hazarded a guess for
> Scritti Politti, or someone, "wait, here comes the emergency tape".

Emergency tape almost kicked in as well during that part of the
show when someone guessed a correct answer on the first or second clue
and there were moments of silence while Peel read (to himself) the
other clues to the band, finishing with "I never knew half of these".

> The J Mascis cover of 'Everythig Flows' was pretty great too. I missed the
> last 30 minutes of the show, anyting of note happen?

Was the section of the quiz with records played at their wrong speeds
then, or was that earlier?  Enjoyed the bit of slowed down "Trumpton
Riots" when the voices started, sounding rather demonic.  "I'd play that
now!!!!!!!!!!"  voiced Peely.

So last 30 mins - Bit more of what happened before, Mansun did a cover
of "Shot By Both Sides", show finished with "Teenage Kicks".  I also
enjoyed the quick blast of "In A Rut".  I await the new Gary Numan
session with some trepidation.

I scored 73 in the quiz.

dougal mckinnon
(d.mckinnon@...)