[peel] Re: licensing peel sessions....

matt0050@... matt0050@...
Wed Aug 9 02:07:33 CEST 2000

hello all... and thanks for all the input on this issue that seems a little
bit more compilcated than i had hoped.

>>Most US bands who
did Peel sessions were probably sufficiently established to
have a record contract of some sort<<

actually both of the bands i was speaking of are UK bands. skinned teen were
three 14 year old girls when they recorded their session and had records out
on slampt and would release records on wiiija as well. layla gibbon from
skinned teen is involved with the discog i'm trying to put together for her
former band... and the remaining two members have authorized the release of
the discog as well. layla told me herself that the release on wiija ("bazooka
smooth") and the peel session they did are her favorites.... wiiija hasn't
responded to my requests for licensing either. i suppose the next step would
be to have layla try and contact these people herself.

the other band i was speaking of was golden starlet who i beleive released
all their material on slampt. the guy that released their discog here in the
US left the peel session off because he didn't want to deal with any
additional costs.... which is understandable because we're talking about punk
bands here that never released a single note on a major label. i'm used to
dealing with other artists or at least artist friendly labels and i don't
even know where to start if i am to be dealing with th BBC. is there a
specific division of the BBC that might handle these recordings or deal
specifically with music? sorry i have so many questions.... and thanks for
all the great insight.

luv,  matt