[peel] licensing peel sessions....

Kim Harrison-Lavoie kimhl@...
Mon Aug 7 22:54:30 CEST 2000

I'm not really sure that I know the answer to this one, but
I've always had the impression that the Peel sessions were
owned or controlled by the bands who record them.

Sometimes people will request repeats of certain Peel
session tracks and I think I've heard JP reply that he
can't just play them freely because it would involve
royalty payments - I got the impression that the financial
arrangements were rather complicated.

Also, some bands have put out Peel session tracks as
B-sides for singles, which has reinforced my idea that the
bands own the rights. Have you contacted the bands in
question and asked them?

Is Crawford of Rothko fame on this list? They just recorded
a session (can't wait to hear it!) so he might be able to
help.