[peel] Digest Number 206

charles.k.smith charles.k.smith@...
Fri Apr 28 20:34:15 CEST 2000

>>	Exterminator. Do people feel it was worth the hype? I certainly do (Ok
>>maybe it was a bit over the top). It's actually quite interesting loads
of
>>my friends who don't normally buy anything other than stereophonics
albums
>>have bought it/borrowed my copy.
>That's good in that it maybe doing some sort of crossover ande encouraging
>people to listen to other sounds.

 That's why i was talking about a new movement (a la punk/baggy/grunge)
because so many people are getting into it and Asian Dub Foundation (I put
it on at a party last night and expected it to be off within one song, but
we got through the whole album with people asking me for details). It can't
be long before more punk/techno groups start.

> But for me what I've heard of this album
>disappoints - the reviews cite Cabaret Voltaire, PIL and DAF* as major
>influences. If this was true I'd probably have bought a copy! But it
sounds
>By the way, you're all well-travelled inteligent people. Can anyone tell
me
>where the 'kill all hipies, subvert normality' thing comes from? The
Secret
>Goldfish used this on (the much superior!) Punk Drone a coupe of years ago
>so it's clearly from a film or something.

I don't know much about PIL's sound (I never hear them on the radio and I
can't afford to buy many albums) but I read an interview saying what
Gillespie was trying to do was make an album that summed up its time like
PIL's metal box did, rather than ape the sound.

 >>	Has anyone got the Asian dub Foundation album? I thought it was
>>good but
>>lacked any of the punkier moments like Free Saptal ram, although the
quite
>>moments are still very good. Could these albums form a new movement?
>Ain't heard it but should. I loved the single, which I think I heard Simon
>Mayo playing! I guess it must be on the 'C' list, as is the Delgados
single

Don't you think Radio 1's claim to break new music is a bit stupid if all
they do is C-list new songs? I mean practically anything could become a top
ten hit if they A-listed it why don't they do that more often?