Re All time F50

Stig jmsmall@...
Mon Nov 8 22:20:04 CET 1999

"Stephen J. Wood" wrote:
> Since so many great records came out this year, I personally will be voting
> for the same three records in both charts. If everybody did that it would
> render the all time one obselete, and Peelie would be able to play us more
> new stuff, which he's always complaining he doesn't get enough time to play.

I think Rocker's suggestion is the best so far, voting for the best
three tracks from this year in both charts. It's such a difficult thing
to choose records that you think are the best of all time without it
being wholly subjective, sentimental, arbitrary, that the only way
forward is probably to choose the records that mean the most to you at
this moment. Which for me, and in the ongoing spirit of the Peel
programme, would be stuff from this year.

> The Peelentury has been fascinating, (but how are they going to find any good
> records from the '80s?), but if you think about it, its deprived us of four
> or more new records a show for a hundred shows.

Good point but many of these records up to, say, the sixties, many of us
won't have ever heard. So it's not as if it is *just* taking up airtime
without being interesting in itself. On the whole I think it's been an
overwhelmingly positive experience for all of us.

And on that heartwarming note I shall go and sit with the dogs by the
fire.

Stig

--
jmsmall@...