Glorious Nights

Andy Smith andys@...
Fri May 28 12:22:57 CEST 1999

Thanks to Ken:

> ****Monday 28th May 1984 (Whitsun Bank Holiday night) Radio 1,
> 10pm-midnight: ****Repeats of Cocteau Twins first session and The Smiths
> first session, and repeat of Smiths session two.

That'd be right. A special night for me as I was getting very excited
about anything the Cocteaus did at that time and was just getting to
like the Smiths again after loving the early singles and hating their
live set (first album tour, I think - for me they were blown away by the
Red Guitars who were supporting that night).

> Anyway, I expect with help from the rest of you I could update this
> PEELOGRAPHY for 1992-1998. I know some of you will have kept Peel
> diaries

Not me, sadly. I only have my (ahem) radio compilations, undated but
I might be able to guess. For me it's always been purely about the
music although I do enjoy a bit of supporting information (if pushed
I could probably still recite all the info on the labels of the first
few Stranglers singles but we won't go into that). But this reminds me,
1992-ish being approximately the year I was able to start making
decent quality tapes, the (first?) Stereolab session was amazing
(Superelectric, Changer, Doubt, and another one - Difficult 4th Title?
see I can almost remember all the titles without thinking about it,
THAT's how much impact it made). It's on the Too Pure Peel sessions
album and it's excellent. I should get that album.

Back to the present, I heard a bit of Tuesday's show in the car and
there's a new Clinic session due in July. Will I get kicked off the
list if I say their new single sounds a bit 70's and even a bit like
Gomez?

AndyTBTG