Glorious Nights

kenandmagda@... kenandmagda@...
Thu May 27 14:03:36 CEST 1999

Andy Smith and Stuart McHugh's comments on remembering glorious nights of
sessions has prompted me to let you know about an occasional service I
might be able to offer long-standing listeners.

As a by-product of my research for my book INSESSION TONIGHT, I produced
four copies only of an 80 page confidential document which I called the
PEELOGRAPHY.

Working from programme scripts, John Walters' & Mike Hawkes' scheduling
wall-charts, and session sheets, this is a complete chronology of every
show presented by Peel on Radio 1 from 1.10.67 to 26.9.92.

It lists sessions, repeats, interviews, Live/festival O/Bs, concerts,
specials, but NOT normally the records (that would have been very hard and
made it a hugely unwieldy document - however, I do possess my print-outs of
the complete running orders of every show from 67 to June 1978 used for my
book - somewhere in a box in the attic!). Well, I say complete, but there
are some gaps in the years 1978-1992 (like, for example, Monday 26 March
1984 - Thur 29 March 1984: anyone know?).

I have one copy, Peel has the second, Radio 1 archivist Phil Lawton has the
third, and the fourth is in the National Sound Archive, the audio
department of the British Library, St Pancras, London - which, in case you
didn't know, has been taping Peel representatively once or twice a month
since the late 70s. You can't take stuff out, but you can write and make an
appointment to listen to stuff (records, radio) but only if you can tell
them EXACTLY what you're looking for, of course. Also, their open-access
reference library is a great place to look up old music papers and
discographies etc. If this fires you up, write to Andy Linehan, Popular
music curator. A top man.

Anyway, I expect with help from the rest of you I could update this
PEELOGRAPHY for 1992-1998. I know some of you will have kept Peel diaries
(Stephen Wood???), as I did for certain periods (me: 76-78, 84-87; 90-92).
If people posted fragmentary diaries to the list (say March-May 1996, for
example) I could pull them all together over time to form our own little
resource and contribution to broadcasting history. All contributions
acknowledged of course, etc.

But, for the moment: Andy:

****Monday 28th May 1984 (Whitsun Bank Holiday night) Radio 1,
10pm-midnight: ****Repeats of Cocteau Twins first session and The Smiths
first session, and repeat of Smiths session two.

Possibly pre-taped for holiday reasons (the use of three, not two sessions,
in a two-hour show marks it out as highly unusual).

Is that the one?

Ken

PS. Magda and I were only at the Art School last night for the Delgados
set, which kicked off at 9.50pm and must have finished about 10.45pm. We'd
had a long day including a distressing funeral for a dear close friend and
needed our beds. The broadcast sets, of course, were time-shifted and
edited-in to the show. As Magda said, the Delgados, at their best, do make
a "nice noise" (They appeared to have added keyboards as well as the
strings and flute for the gig). Someone I didn't recognise in my tired
state said hello to me. Sorry if it was one of you.

Ken Garner & Magda Pieczka
39 Camphill Avenue
Glasgow, G41 3AX, United Kingdom
Tel/Fax/Ans: -44-(0)141-636 0302

Ken's Work Tel: -44-(0)141-331 3258
Lecturer, Department of Language and Media,
Glasgow Caledonian University, G4 0BA, UK
e-mail: K.Garner@...
Magda's Work Tel: -44-(0)1786-466222
Lecturer, Department of Film and Media Studies,
Stirling University, FK9 4LA, UK
e-mail: magda.pieczka@...

"To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition"
        ~ Samuel Johnson, Rambler 68, Saturday 10th November 1750.