fav sessions

Stuart McHugh smchugh@...
Thu May 27 13:12:48 CEST 1999

ol' Andy spake:
>Was that Be-bop Deluxe era Bill Nelson, Red Noise or even later?
>I wasn't aware of any sessions but I'd have been a bit young myself.
My old granda used to sing me 'Ships in the Night' as he bounced me on his
knee.
I did warn him he'd put his back out as I was 32, and 16 stone at the time.
The Bill Nelson session was post-Red Noise, in fact I think that this was
something that Bill recporded in his own studio (the Echo Observatory, fact
fans) and passed onto Peelie as a bona-fide session - one of very few not
actually recorded at a BBC studio. (There's actually quite a good book
which lists all the recording venues etc, dunuo if you've seen it).
On the Bill Nelson session was amongst others, 'Rooms With Brittle Views'
which came out on Crepescule just after 'Do You Dream in Colour', which
might help date it. The thing was eventually released as a fanclub e.ep.
Not that I'm a Bill Nelson completist or anything (too expensive).

>> The session that made most impact for me at the time was probably
>> the This Heat one from 1978 or so, (though in fact the album was
>> much better) - I had to listen under the bedclothes
>
>Which reminds me of my first experience of dub - imagine the sound
>quality, that throbbing bass pounding out of my tinny transistor radio
>speaker (or possibly even one of those mono earphone thingies).
It's a shame there have been so few reggae sessions on the show (even
though John always makes up for it in record airplay, in case someone from
the Guardian is reading). He said in an interview once that the reggae
people had a habit of not being all that bothered about doing sessions, as
if they didn't care too much about national airplay etc.

Stuart