Hello from new list member

Stuart McHugh smchugh@...
Tue May 25 15:12:00 CEST 1999

>I'd be curious to know what everyone's top 5 favourite Peel
>sessions are, especially those people who have been
>listening as long as you have.
Are we havinga vote? Who's volunteering to count?
It's a tricky one, that's for sure. I'd need to look at the book(!) I
reckon or go through my tape collection but perceptions of a session would
change over time - for a new band it might seem like the most startling
thing you've ever heard on first broadcast, but if you listened to it now
it might sound not much different from the album the tracks eventually
appeared on. The sessions of most 'value' over time would be the ones which
were radically different from recorded versions of the tracks played. One
which comes to mind is perhaps the 3rd Fall session, purely for the fact
that the lp version of 'New face in Hell' has a really irritating kazoo on
it, whereas the session used keyboard and which didn't annoy the nads off
me. What else? I have a old 'Scotch' tape which has very hissy sessions by
the Visitors, plus a very (at the time) new band called Pulp. I loved the
tracks on that session though the band seemed to have no particular style
or direction, and all the tracks from that are still unreleased,
preseumably because everyone else thought they were rubbish.
And finally, that recurring question: whatever happened to the Cherry Blades?

Stuart

new for Spring, Jock Box Jury features sound clips and reviews of Mogwai,
Arab Strap, the Rev. Corps of Teenage Jesus, BOWS, and a load more:
http://www.vacant.demon.co.uk/jockrock/records/records.html