Quickspace

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sat Mar 6 21:31:11 CET 1999

andrew dean wrote:

>> last night peel mentioned something about having to share a studio in
>> the forthcoming weeks, something like he was going to do the links but
>> someone else was going to be playing the records. should we be worried
>> about this? has someone at the bbc noticed the recent guffs? i can't
>> help but think this is a bad thing.

And Stig wrote

>Yes, quite bizarre, this. Didn't he say he was going to be sharing the
>studio with Simon Mayo? Was I hallucinating for that bit? I really can't
>imagine why this would be, surely the BBC realises that his lack of
>technical perfection is one of the things that marks him apart from the
>rest of the crowd. Technically flawless DJs are ten-a-penny. But who
>wants a technically flawless DJ when you've got Peel?

>This has got me very worried. Strange and sinister stuff.

Look at the Radio Times folks -its Comic Relief week,  Simon Mayo
is doing a 37 hour sponsored dj thing which means he'll be sharing a
studio with all the Radio 1 djs as their shows come round.  He's doing
almost every show for 2 days.   That's all it is.  Peel has had to come
in that day because there isn't actually time in the ten minutes
between the end of the Evening Show and the start of Peels for Mayo
to travel to Ipswich!

martinw