the gaps maketh the man

Stig jmsmall@...
Wed Jun 9 22:37:35 CEST 1999

The educated Martin Wheatley wrote:
> >I can see this "where's me washboard?" stuff getting a bit tedious
> >seeing as it's going to go on like this until the fifties when a more
> >varied range of music first started being put on records. Hm, maybe
> >there'll be some blues before then.
>
> 'Really enjoying the Peelenium' he wrote in his fax last night!

Look at his little face! It's almost as if he understands! I've
thoroughly enjoyed the Peelennium so far, but I really don't think it's
intended to be an attempt to document musical movements and developments
in any serious way. As someone commented, at this stage it's doubtless
just a question of the very few records that are actually available from
the years in question. For that reason I made the comment that I can
imagine it getting a bit samey as we go through the early decades of
recorded music, since relatively speaking there's not a great deal of
variety to the kind of music that was being put on records in the early
half of this century when you compare it to the latter half. The
interesting thing of course is that by the time we get into the era of
Peel's own career we'll be positively overwhelmed with possibilities.
Look at the breathtaking eclecticism of any single Peel programme of
this year and compare it to the distinct lack of musical and stylistic
variety in the records being produced in the early decades of the
century. It'll be fascinating to see increasing evidence of this as the
Peelennium reaches the explosion of the record industry into the mass
market.

Stiggsy, really rather proud of the gaps in his education

--
jmsmall@...