FF E-mail

Tom Roche troche@...
Tue Dec 7 04:05:14 CET 1999

At 4:36 AM -0500 12/4/99, peel@onelist.com wrote:
>I suspect a lot more people will vote because it's less
>hassle than having to get a postcard/envelope -

Not to mention it is easier for those who listen overseas. I mean I've always voted anyway just based on 15 or so shows a year I used to hear on hand-me-down cassettes. And usually I'd include at least one soukous track but no African stuff has ever made his final tally as I recall.

I wonder how many votes the Melt Banana session will get - it was at the top of my list but as Peel never read out any of the 20 or so tracks' titles I just had to vote for the whole session. I also voted, like you care, for Klute's "Leo 9" from "Hidden Rooms Compilation" and Dawn Of The Replicants' "Science Fiction Geek."

It may not have occurred to many of you but listening to Peel pre-internet on cassette introduces a different dynamic to the experience. Rather than having the fine music evaporate in the ether, it instead is preserved like a newspaper, a snapshot of the new music of that particular week.

I may have 100 ninety minute Peel shows by now, maybe 200, I dont know. Its a lot. Going back decades. I'll certainly hold on to them. He wont be around forever but the internet will - so maybe he can be around for ever after all.

tom