Final Request?

simond.phillips simond.phillips@...
Wed Nov 20 11:18:56 CET 2019

I'm a member of another Yahoo Group that's been transferred to groups.io and seems to be functioning well. I asked the moderator what he'd done and this is his reply........

 It was all fairly straightforward but you would have to get a move on if you want to shift things along, as you've only got a week before the transfer cut-off point is instigated.

Firstly though, you have to be a Moderator of the group you want to transfer. You then to open a group at groups.io. Easily done - go here: https://groups.io/static/pricing https://groups.io/static/pricing

Select the membership you want - I started it with Basic and then upgraded (when I was first interested it was only $110 to upgrade from Basic to Premium, but they suddenly increased the price without warning).

You'll need to have a Premium account if you want to transfer files/members, though you can downgrade to basic once the transfer has happened.

The cost was $220.00 - which as you know I quickly recovered by crowd-funding within the group.

Once you've got your Premium account you'll get instructions, but basically you have to invite your new Group to be a moderator of the old Yahoo one by sending an invite to transfer@groups.io mailto:transfer@groups.io. Once the transfer has happened (in our case about four or five days for both) you can remove the new member (transfer@groups.io mailto:transfer@groups.io) from the Yahoo group's membership list.

More info is available here: https://groups.io/static/transfer https://groups.io/static/transfer

I chose not to transfer the membership on several grounds. The first was privacy - not everyone would necessarily like it if they were made members of a new group they'd perhaps never heard of. The second was that there were just a few people that I didn't really want in the new group - why introduce bits of grit to a smooth-running machine.

So, as moderator of the Yahoo Group, I was able to download a copy of the membership list, edit it out a few 'undesirables' and then email people with my own personalised invite or, use the Invite members facility with the new group.

I hope that's all clear - it was a lot easier than it sounds!