Looking for late August 1981 shows ("O Superman")

S. Alexander Reed s.alexander.reed@...
Sat May 4 20:30:44 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I figure that by now, Peel fans have found most of what we’re gonna find, but I wanted to ask just in case…

I’m writing a book on Laurie Anderson’s Big Science, and I'm trying to locate the first broadcast of “O Superman" by Peel (or Dave Lee Travis or Richard Skinner).  On September 1, 1981, Peel plays the song and notes that people have been writing letters to him and Skinner about it for “the last week or so.”  But the Peel show archives (an astonishing resource) seem not to have any episodes from late August ’81.

Anyhow, I figured I’d ask here, just in case there was water to be squeezed from the rock: does anyone happen to know about (or have a tape of) the BBC debut of “O Superman”?

Cheers,
Alex Reed, Ph.D.