[peel] Re: Peel's Picks: Love & Hate

Tim Giebel-Inanloo timgiebel@...
Tue Jan 15 22:23:53 CET 2019

I was born in 95, so unfortunately didn’t listen to John Peel while I was growing up, I discovered his shows later, through my interest in cassettes and reel to reel etc, and my interest in transferring them to the wiki.  However I had already listened to quite a variety of music while growing up.

Of course I love listening to John’s delivery, and how much of a real personality he has.
Regarding the music, I initially couldn’t get The Fall, but with repeated listening, I have grown to like some of it a lot. I enjoy shows from all decades, but my favourite period is probably from the late seventies to late 80s. I particularly enjoy The early punk, all the reggae, things such as the Cocteau twins, Xmal Deutschland, Siouxsie and the banshees, the Smiths, The Primitives, initially I wasn’t sure about the African tracks, but again have grown to really enjoy these. I still haven’t really managed to enjoy The grind core stuff, Bolt thrower, extreme noise terror etc. Having said that, in the context of the program, I do kind of enjoy the tracks in a way, but wouldn’t buy the LP, put it that way.

By the way, I recently got hold of a job lot of reel to reel tapes of Peel shows from mainly early 80s I think, maybe some late 70s to. So these will be up soon.
I have also made contact with somebody else who says he has some cassettes  of shows from the late seventies/early 80s, but haven’t heard back from him in a while.