[peel] More KevH plus start of a new collection

m.Luetchford M.Luetchford@...
Mon Feb 20 18:06:32 CET 2017

I once met someone who knew someone from the Drowning Craze and was mighty impressed as an impressionable youth ... I think I might have contributed the original solitary offering so looking forward to hearing what else they had to say for themselves.
Thank you

Sent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
From: "stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 20/02/2017  4:51 pm  (GMT+00:00)
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] More KevH plus start of a new collection

      Tape 39 of the KevH Tapes  begins with a high quality debut play of New Order's 2nd session, broadcast on already complete show 1st June 1982. This was followed by  a Steel Pulse repeat from Mark Ellen's stand in on 22nd June, adding some SQ and outros to the existing Stewart Tapes edited version. Dislocation Dance's second session follows, this split over its two plays on its debut on 14th July (adding a track and some SQ) and new show 4th August 1982. The Cocteau Twins debut with links is captured for the first time with links from new show 15th July 1982. Finally another debut, another new show, March Violets from 2nd August 1982.

Tape 40 moves on to 1983 and a repeat of Xmal Deutschland's first from new show 14th February 1983. In a 4AD heavy week it's the Cocteau Twins from another new show 15th February 1983. A rare session from Virgin Dance f
rom 17th March 1983, adding to that show. Then it's Big Country from new show 6th April 1983. A rare evening session Sisters Of Mercy roadcast on 11th April 1983 follows, then another evening session, Bauhaus.

Tape 44 starts with the Slits third session, as repeated on new show 12th November 1991, which despite being only three tracks long, amounts to almost a quarter of that show. Danse Society's first follows, 3 tracks from its debut on 30th November (1 new track) and 1 from its repeat on 17th December. Then it's Killing Joke and their 4th from its repeat on 12th January 1982, adding a track to the Derby Box share. Then it's Kev's own request session, The Models, as broadcast on 12th January 1982. Previously shared separately by Kev, but perhaps from a dubbed version from a later tape, whereas this is the master and sounds really clear. Finally from the 13th, its Drowining Craze only session, from the debut on 13th January 1982, and an addition to the sol
itary track previously available from this show.

Tape 52 starts with a Rock On section with Southern Death Cult in studio chat and record play on Rock On, with probably Mark Ellen compering, then a New Order interview and record selection from thre Rock On from 12th March 1993, this time with what sounds like Richard Skinner.
Then it's a Play Dead session, the debut of their second session as broadcast on 23rd June 1983, a new show. This brings me in mind of a completely unfeasible scene from Brookside in which Paul, an older-middle aged conservative character claims to like some of the modern bands such as "Play Dead".

Earlier uses of the tape then gain their place in the spotlight, with a snippet from 31st May 1983 (just 3 new seconds) Then the last 6 minutes or so of the 4th November 1982, a new section of that show and including a session track from the Twinsets.

Finally for now from the KevH Tapes, #55 started off with a dubbed copy of the M
odels session so was left out. Next Rubella Ballet from 6th July 1982, adding to the earlier Kev share of Southern Death Cult from this show. Then it's on to the debut of Sisters Of Mercy's first session, from 7th September 1982, adding to the 35 second share for this show!  A rare appearance of a record from an unknown Peel show, presumably November 1982, then the tape ends with Pink Industry's session from 1st December 1982, that show already complete but the session now in KevH quality.

As usual Peel outros and some intros are included.

I also started on a small collection of tapes that Rocker got from Gumtree. From Tape 1, we now have a 47 minute section of new show 7th September 1988, with a couple of Too Much Texas session tracks. On Tape 2 the BBC World Service show from 18th March 1993, and a 47 minute section of the Radio 1 show from the 19th, adding 1
1 minutes to that show. Tape 3 contained most of the World Service show from 15th June 1993, a sound upgrade to the Tom Roche short wave version, which was dated as the 14th June. Both recordings are likely to have been the 0330GMT broadcast on the 15th (but still the 14th in the USA). On side 2 was the WS show of the 29th June 1993, a new show.

If anyone Mooo-browsing has already downloaded the Gumtree shows, or KevH tape 55, then please redownload them or check it is the same version. I had to re-record these, as I inadvertantly had brushed past the tape deck and flicked Dolby C on. That's why KevH Tapes 62 and 72 appeared briefly on the Mooo, I will re-digitise these soon.

Thanks to Kev and the unknown taper of the Gumtree tapes!

Stuart