[peel] Another 5 from KevH - rarity alert

m.Luetchford M.Luetchford@...
Thu Feb 2 11:05:25 CET 2017

Always liked listening to Skinner pre Peel -  a forgotten DJ? Good to see some new shows getting populated
Reminds me that someone I knew was a big fan of Sophie and Peter and had a great peel tape collection. Not certain i can track him down but will have a go...
Mark

Sent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
From: "stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 02/02/2017  2:17 am  (GMT+00:00)
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Another 5 from KevH - rarity alert

      Some quality early 80s lined up here.... and plenty of links.

Demos, Peel, Evening session, TV, it's all here.

In no particular orderTape 26 started off with a rare 1978 demo from Luxound Deluxe.
Next a complete rarity, Milan Station's only session from its repeat broadcast on 10th August 1981 (also the first share for that date).
Then Repetition's only session from the 17th August, a much better sound than the 400 Box share for that date.
Finally Bamboo Zoo's only session from 3rd September 1981, a new show, and the only version of the session on the wiki.Even the tape was rare, a TDK OD60 (never saw these in the shops myself).

Tape 22 kicks off with 1919's debut play of their 2nd session, broadcast on 31st May 1983. This adds a track, and quality to the remaining three, to the 400 Box share of that day. Next, a demonstration of a key advantage to living in London in the 80s, the Evening Session in VHF! So, here is Dead Or Alive's final session for the BBC, Kid Jensen session as broadcast on 1st June 1983.

Attn Steve SIG - the next bit of the tape is an extract from the Friday Rock Show, where Tommy plays the three tracks that remain from the 1970 Sounds Of The 70s session.Back to Peel and the complete Xmal Deutschland 2nd session from new show 27th June 1983. Kid Jensen returns with Gene Loves Jezebel's session as broadcast on 30th June. Then onto the Peel show of the same night, and a new show, with Clock DVA's only session, complete. Only previously partially available on the wiki from one of my o
wn tapes from a later repeat.
Tape 17 (my own number as the tape had no number and there are no 17s in the box) and yet another airing for the now ubiquitous Joy Division sessions, as rebroadcast on new show 1st September 1983. I remember the excitement of taping these sessions from this show at the time (having been late to the whole Peel/JD thing) then the pain of losing the tape.... I must check my old Collins page a day diary to see if there was anything else from the tracklistings to add to the wiki page. A B-Movie Skinner session from 1981. The Wake's only session from its repeat on new show 9th August 1983, is followed with a Skinner repeat of a 1982 Bauhaus session and a couple of TV tracks from Mystery Girls.
Tape 18 starts with the 1983 Skinner session by The Cure, not commercially released. Then an archive Skinner Killing Joke session from 1981. The rest of the tape is all Peel - firs
t Gene Loves Jezebel from new show 26th September 1983, Cocteaus from new show 4th October, most of SPK from 8th November in unprecedented quality, (my version was mono), Dead Can Dance from 15th December 1983 (already shared but that page needs tidying) and finally a couple from Sophie & Peter Johnson from 22nd December 1983 (show already complete from Stewart tapes). (all of these Peel sessions featured in my own 1983 mixtapes)

Finally for now, Tape 20. This caused me a bit of panic, as it was the first one I ripped with the repaired Nakamichi, and side 1 sounded very tapey, until I realised that the tape was already a tape to tape transfer. So, first off, a demo from the Atoms, direct from the band to Kev, followed by a presumably traded / swapped Cure session as recorded from 10th January 1979, but still a sound upgrade to the 400 Box share plus an extra track. Tougher competition for the Lene Lovich tape from 2nd January 1979 as
 that show was partially available from the redoubtable Derby Box, but to save the day, a full version of the track Home is now available.
We're then back to FRS land with a repeat of Van Der Graaf Generator session. A slight mystery unfolds here with the selection of tracks presented not matching any individual session in Ken's book, so perhaps a pick and mix approach was employed. Sound quality ramps back up to KevH quality so this must be a first gen recording.

The Newtown Neurotics session referred to in the last thread now becomes real, from new show 5th April 1983,  a first share for that date and for the N-Ns. The promised missing JCC track from his 1982 session is tackled on at the end.
Between the above two bands, a TV appearance by the Damned, a mic to TV recording, with the band trying to sound more like VDGG than NN.....

Phew that took a while to write. I did have tape 16 lined up too but it seems the upload to the Mooo cut off before completion - I hope I haven't filled it up again.

Feedback welcomed..... and many thanks to KevH once again!

Stuart / Weatherman22 / Mantoid