[peel] Re: Eddie Berlin BFBS Tapes

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Sat Oct 1 11:38:04 CEST 2016

I had a pal who went to Liverpool Art College on the strength of the music coming out of there in 78/79/80 and didn't regret it.
But agree strangely patchy - eg Pink Military, Wah! . ... and not followed through...Don't tell Pete Wylie I said that

      From: "thebarguest@....uk [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
 To: peel@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, 30 September 2016, 22:03
 Subject: Re: [peel] Re: Eddie Berlin BFBS Tapes

    I think you are right, a few years ago I got more Wild Swans stuff and none matched their first single, sadly. But "Revolutionary Spirit" certainly sounded like a cross between Joy Division and the Bunnymen, a true classic. For that they should be very proud. The band It's Immaterial (great name) were also from Liverpool, must check out the song mentioned, it will probably come back to me. China Crisis (also from Liverpool) were similar - I've not heard anything by them to match the nice "Black Man Ray". Likewise the Lotus Eaters and Black (RIP). Is it a Liverpool thing? Only joking, it's quite common. Even Bunnymen stuff sounds quite dated these days, although the early stuff I heard on Peel was/is good eg "Over The Wall". I've always thought that the best Liverpool music 78 to 80's was the first Teardrops album (still sounds fresh, a true classic, the best thing by far Mr Cope has ever done) and the first two Flock Of Seagulls albums (if you like synth-rock-pop)... As a Merseysider, I hate to say it, but Manchester had the best new-wave bands ie Magazine, Buzzcocks, Mondays, James, Joy Di569839hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margv9073569839last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:7{color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space