[peel] More from the Lowman tapes

Mr M D Luetchford M.Luetchford@...
Tue May 24 21:42:29 CEST 2016

Many thanks for all that hard work ...

On 24 May 2016, at 00:35, "stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Tape 405 kicked off with the last 14 minutes of 20th February 1993,  in which John tells us he got a call from home to say that the family were gathered round listening to a tape of his first BBC show in 1967, that Pinky had found in the studios. This was probably a copy of the one that Ken was given by Bernie Andrews, or perhaps the same one!

That got me checking the wiki page, and I realised that the page was pretty out of date, and timeline of the discovery of audio for this show was incomplete, so it's been revamped a bit.

The tape must have gathered dust for a while, as the next audio was the last half hour of ,

24th April 1993 already available. T hen on Side B an episode of Mixing It, the audio linked to from the SL Tapes page already available. The start of side 1 was very muffled and I see that a separate tape recorded on that date shared a few years ago attracted a similar comment. Steve must have had tape problems around now, as Tape 408 below, had it noted on the inlay that it was muffled through side 1, though I didn't notice it here.

Tape 406 contained two separate, new sections of http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/06_February_1993

Tape 407 and Tape 408 between them contained a 2hr 15 segment of 12th February 1993 , which have been joined into one file. Mostly new, and possibly the debut play of a Jeff Mills record.

At the end of 407 was the last 12 minutes of an OOBS show (again linked to on the SL tapes page).

Tape 409 contained two separate bits of the Andy Kershaw show of 30th January 1993 (in my Mooo subfolder) followed by the missing start of the Peel show of the same date. I've combined that with the rest of the show from 401 402 403 into one complete show file, so the earlier share can be discarded.

Tape 410 contained two bits of 26th February 1993, which I combined with the portion from Tape 371 I made a few years ago (!) to get a file containing the first 2 hours of the show. T he last hour is already available on a separate SL tape and the complete show is already available from another source.

Finally for now, Tape 411 contained two new bits of 6th March 1993, only one of which has been uploaded so far as Audacity decided to play up while ripping side b.

Listening to Al's 1985 tape as I compose this, so different! Thanks to Al, and Steve for the SL tapes

Stuart

<!--  ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->