Found a 45 from Dallas DJ "Weird Beard" radio show from when Peel worked there

michael stoecker michstoecker@...
Tue Jul 26 02:55:08 CEST 2016

Hey,
So when Peel was in Dallas in 1963 and there for the JFK assassination among other things, he talked about the current reigning DJ at the time as The Weird Beard on KLIF AM in Dallas. This is also the station where John got hired as their Beatles correspondent and into one of his first radio jobs.
So a few years ago I'm digging in an absolute cluttered mess of a used record shop in Dallas. I mean there were shelves of 5000 discarded 45rpm singles all haphazardly stacked and everything was priced on the owners whim so it was quite discouraging BUT there in lots of crap was this Ran-Dells "Martian Hop" 45 Promo. Now it too is pretty common everyday fare except that this copy was from Weird Beard's show on KILF 7-Midnight and it appears had been given to a guy named Randy from Weird Beard. Plus its 1963 so it'd be an exact 45 that was on air when Peel worked at that station. Not worth anything but seriously, how cool is that. For it to survive too with the generic sleeve and Weird Beard's signature.
I was incredibly happy and kind of in awe.