[peel] JP Centre for Creative Arts

markc63@... markc63@...
Mon Jan 25 22:34:17 CET 2016

It's a really nice small venue, looks like a tastefully restored methodist church or perhaps an old corn exchange.
His Copeness was on top form in the interview section with Colleen which preceded the playing of JP's copy of Kilimanjaro (although technically it was one of 3 copies he had, which apparently happens a lot in the collection - presumably white label or advance copy then the actual release, and in the case of Kilimanjaro, the reissue that quickly followed the first pressing). It felt a bit odd at that point to just put a record on, but it worked really well and the sound quality, even in that relatively big space was excellent. I closed my eyes the moment Ha Ha I'm Drowning started and I was transported back to my bedroom in 1980...
 There was a quick chat with Dave (no surname given) from the John Peel Archive before Julian arrived. He mentioned that they were looking for more finance before embarking on the next part of the archiving of the collection. Some numbers were given about the collection; 20,000 vinyl LP's, 50,000 CD's, 50,000 singles and  an unknown quantity of 12" singles.
 As I've said, Copey was an excellent interviewee; funny, self deprecating and just ever so slightly scary. I'm struggling to recall some anecdotes, of which there were many; apparently he's a big reggae fan and when he lived in Tamworth walked to school with a kid who would go on to be the keyboard player with Steel Pulse.
 He made a big thing of doing the Peel Sessions and of listening to John's programmes in the early seventies.

 Mark C