[peel] Lowman Genesis and another great KevH tape

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Sun Dec 4 21:21:58 CET 2016

Its like "watching the detectives" - I am full of awe with the skill shown in piecing together these shows.
I presume someone will snaffle the 1989 peel 6music outing so it can take its place in the largest online library of JP shows.
      From: "stuartb@... [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
 To: peel@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, 4 December 2016, 20:07
 Subject: [peel] Lowman Genesis and another great KevH tape

    We go back in time to the genesis of the Lowman tapes, a trioof shows recorded from the 21st to the 23rd September 1981. Theseare edited but generally include runs of consecutive tracks with links.
A further 18 minutes added to the Derby Box share of the 21stalmost completing the show, then an hour and 7 minutes of new show 22ndSeptember, featuring the debut of  Altered Images 3rd session, and acouple of tracks from Stimulin’s only session. Then we hit Peak Clare on the 23rd,the day John went to see Gregory’s Girl, and almost an hour of this new show,with 23 Skidoo and Motor Boys Motor in session.
Next up a 15 minute section of new show 14thOctober 1981, including 1 Passage track, but no Method Actor session tracks(though see a bit later….). Then around  49  minutes of 15th October , whichwhen added to the Derby Box share, means only the last minute of the show isnow missing.
Finally a short snippet from the 30th December 1981adds a few minutes to the F50 share of that date.Most of these tapes were rather dodgy looking Yakima tapes,the super lightweight rough-ferric oxide look tapes,  that you just know are going to shed. And oneof them did quite badly and had to be re-ripped after cleaning the deck, andthese tapes do sound a bit ropey.
After a final cleaning it was on to the next KevH tape justas a reminder how good the medium can sound, with Derby-esque sound. This tapecontained sessions from January and February 1982, including the Cure’s 5thsession from the 20th January, Altered Images #1 repeat on the 21st,Play Dead’s debut on the 28th, and the Method Actors, as mentionedabove, repeat on the 16th February. All of these sessions includePeel’s outros and are all the first shares from these dates. It might well bethe best available version of each of these unreleased sessions, the sheerpunch of the drums is unmatched by anything that gets broadcast on DAB thesedays (speaking of which I must listen to the 6music 1989 show while it’s stillavailable).Later in the tape a single Theatre Of Hate session trackfrom 18th February (Kev v. Derby SQ showdown?) then John CooperClarke’s  session from 15thMarch, adding an extra track to the Derby Share for the day.The end of the tape contained a brace of Birthday Partytracks recorded from BBC2’s Riverside show. I didn’t include that as it didn’tseem to fit, being of low sound quality and already available on Youtube withvideo.
SL tapes in their usual location and Kev's from the 1982 calendar page.
 Thanks to Kev and Steve!
iv label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;wh