[peel] RF11-14

m.Luetchford M.Luetchford@...
Sun Apr 24 10:32:27 CEST 2016

Thanks to ripper and preserver ...
I look forward to making my own mind up about said Joe. I never liked a lot of what John played but he always gave me the chance to find new stuff and always made it clear he almost demanded us not  to like some of what he played. Still find it annoying that people who ride records assume that all the listeners like what they play. That way lowest common denominator/maddness of the mainstream lies....

Sent from my Samsung device

-------- Original message --------
From: "Stuart Brooks stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 24/04/2016  00:36  (GMT+00:00)
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [peel] RF11-14

Strangely enough I just came across a Joe Satriani track on a Peel show tape I've yet to rip, so maybe it's OK to like him!

On 22 April 2016 09:36:10 BST, "RobF robfleay@ntlworld.com [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Cheers Stuart - I'd forgotten about that House Of Love acoustic session and have no memory of recording a Richard Skinner show.

Tape 11 - yes that James track at the end was taped off my girlfriend's copy of the Come Home 12''

Tape 12 - where did that Joe Satriani track come from  at the end?? I can only guess that I left the tape running one night and fell asleep and that got picked up from the Nicky Campbell show (or whichever DJ was on the graveyard shift back then). Michael Schenker yes, but Joe Satriani - NEVER!

Tape 13 - The Flaming Lips track at the start was definitely from a Peel show - I bought the album on the back of taping that track. Absolutely ZERO idea where I taped that Popguns live set from, or who the compere was. It must have been from a Peel show?

And the Dymo label? I dread to think! I know in the very early days of collecting
cassettes I would put a dymo label on the top of the tape to indicate what it was as I kept then stacked in a milk crate on their ends and couldn't see the spines. Go on - what did it say?? Off list if it's too embarassing!

On 22 April 2016 at 01:18, stuartb@brooks22.plus.com [peel] <peel@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

RF Sessions 11 kicked off with a bit of a rarity - a live session from House Of Love on what must be Saturday Live or its replacement, introduced by Richard Skinner. Next up Ride's first session, repeat broadcast on 10th April, already shared complete from the Rich 200, followed by the debut of Cranes' second session from the following night, new content for the 11th. Side 1 ends with a track each from Morrissey and James, the latter sounding like it might be a home recording of a record.
On side 2, Barbel's debut session opens proceedings, available complete and with intros, though not as good SQ as mr maudlin's intro-less share of 3 tracks from his C143 Peel Sessions tape. Then the debut play of the only Fieldmice session (from a new show, and stats fans, breaks the longest run of shows without a recording in the 1988-1998 period). Finally the Charlatans in session from an
already available show.
RF Sessions 12 on a TDK D90 marks a change in style with the Happy Flowers debut (already available from Rich) followed by Teenage Fanclub's debut session (new for that show). Then it's Bridewell Taxis, 3 of their 4 session tracks, from a show where all four tracks are available in higher SQ but there are a few extra peel outros etc. Finally Ride's 2nd session, played in a one-y on 16th December (funnily enough also shared by me) but this has the outro.

RF13 (on a TDK D60)  includes a short, lo-fi set from Popguns/Pop Guns, compered by a Mark before moving on to Heavenly's first session, from the second play judging by the micro-differences in the intro to Escort Crash. Lush's only session on side
2 is from an unshared show, but whether the debut or repeat play is unknown. The track order is consistent with the first play but not a guarantee. Then the 3rd play of Babes In Toyland's first session.

 RF14 shoegazetastic, (not that I am dissing, it, I recorded tracks from all of the sessions featured on this tape myself) starts with the repeat of Catherine Wheel's only session (I taped the debut) followed by the repeat of Slowdive's session (I taped that one) then half of Moose's first session (I taped that too) ends side 1. Side 2 begins with the debut play Babes In Toyland's 2nd session, (I taped the repeat) then Bleach (I only taped 1 track) and the rest of Moose from the same July show (only 1 track previously available for that show)
One of the tape boxes had an interesting Dymo label on the end of it,
know anything about that Rob???