[peel] An 80s mini-series

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Fri Sep 19 22:38:34 CEST 2014

excellent - thank you. i am pretty certain I used to have some of these on tapes that got chewed - particularly APB and one million fuzztone guitars. If stuff like this keeps turning up I will be happy, happy, happy! And yes that is my modest collection ... I'll have a go at the missing ones unless stealth sleuth beats me to it!

________________________________
 From: "stuartb@... [peel]" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 18 September 2014, 23:09
Subject: [peel] An 80s mini-series

The 1980s Mini Series. Remember them?

Well now we have the Peel equivalent. Also known as the Stewart Tapes, after the taper, this collection of 18 tapes (the 18 Box??) made its way to Bob, who happens to be a mate of Dr Mango of these parts, who in turn recommended to Bob that said box should be despatched to Ripping Central (i.e. me and my Nak in a bedsit far from home).

I now have the results (no not the poll, yet) of the first three tapes.

First up, S001 has around 80 minutes of 25th January 1982. The tape, as is likely to be the case for the whole collection, is an edited pause button one but some Peel links remain. This is a show new to the catalogue, and the sound quality is pretty good, better in general than the Rich 200, apart from a slight wobble at the start of the very
first track where the tape tried to chew itself up on first play. The tape is one I've not heard of, a Yashima UFOI C90.

UB40 and APB are in session, and we hear the first reaction of John to the famously titled fourth session track from UB40. And for those missing the crossword clues there are a couple of unknowns in there.

At the end of S001 and on side 1 of S002, are 54 minutes of 26th January 1982, another new show, featuring Maximum Joy in session, also Icicle works though none of their tracks are present here. The second side of S002 contained an album by I Jahman.

Last for tonight, S003 contained 93 minutes of 9th February 1982. A mostly new show other than a solitary track from one of Mark's Mixtapes (that you Mark Leutchford?) Drowning Craze in session as well as a repeat
of Siouxsie And The Banshees' first.

Some fine minimal synth and agitfunk typical of the time.

Enjoy
Stuart/Dr Mango/Bob/John Stewart (and JP of course)