Two new shows

Alan Ford ford.alan@...
Sat Nov 1 20:49:35 CET 2014

Recently on the Peel Sessions Facebook group someone posted that he had a
tape of John's show from the night Elvis died, 1977-08-16. When I said I'd
like to hear it he sent me a C120 with an hour of the show one side and an
hour of 1977-07-28 on the other.

Here's what he said about them:

Where do I start....unfortunately I couldn't find a blank C120 as I am
adding 28/7/77 for you but I had to wait for a tape to be delivered.
Next,me bleedin' deck packed up and so I quickly found one on E-Bay which
turned up the following day.

Now the good news,the tapes are crappy Dixons which I purchased from a
second hand shop but they are in good condition.
I have added another two Chelsea tracks (they did play five) which were
missing, they are High Rise Living and Blind Date and the session was rec.
21/6/77.

Also there were a couple of drop-outs during the Elvis Costello trio of
numbers and then the tape runs out and so I have re-done those, they are
still the tracks
Peelie played on the night.

The 16/8/77 tape splits the Generation X tape in half. Peel didn't realise
that this was a white label demo thingy which emerged at the same time as
their official
single. I have edited my own white label into the tape as this track was
spread over the two sides of the original tape and so there is now no gap.

There was a clumsy edit during The Beatles and so I have re-done that track.
Finally I have added the missing Kinks track (they played three) to the end
of the tape following the news. It is called Demolition and the session was
rec. 6/6/74."

A bit of my own research:

Peel 1977-07-28 Radio 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bRbuvYnn_XTC1rUVpHRVdVdE0/view?usp=sharing
Chris Foster session
Rec 22/6/77
TX  29/6/77
Repeat 28/7/77

Chelsea also repeated 28/7/77

Also
The Killjoys 'Naive', 3 from My Aim Is True, Only Ones 'Lovers of Today'

Peel 1977-08-16 Radio 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bRbuvYnn_XdVVxZENHbDhZaU0/view?usp=sharing
Repeats of
Martin Simpson