Wanted: Top Gear shows

meltormentsingers@... meltormentsingers@...
Wed May 14 03:10:26 CEST 2014

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I love the Perfumed Garden collection you made, it's a great reflection of the times and (together with a few years at the end of the Seventies / early Eighties) for me personally the most interesting time in music. There were so many great bands in those days it's "beyond the beyond" as Pete Townshed once said.

Young Girl is very Bonzo, great fun to listen to. My favorite at the moment is a recording for (probably) Symonds On Sunday (March 3rd, 1969) of "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites" (a more jazzy version with harmonica and without rough guitars)  in which Vivian Stanshall is absolutely frantic and he sounds if he's had a few too many. During one of the breaks he burps a bigger burp than he ever did during Canyons Of Your Mind and teases bassplayer Dennis Cowan time and again by telling him to "express himself", to which Cowan at one point replies "calm down". Really a hilarious version.

If I understand you correctly you have digitized these recordings froim shows you had in your own collection and the dates with these are 100% undisputable?
Why I ask this is because of the dates that are allocated to them. On the "Unpeeled" CD a version of "Can Blue Men Sing The Whites" (actually the regular album version) is labeled as being recorded during the July 8 session. The "problem" with that date that there's a different recording around of the same song with the same date allocated to it. This version is also more jazzy, without the rough guitar but with harmonica. So I'm really curious which of the two is the right one for that date and your version could perhaps provide a definitive answer to that issue.

Thanks in advance for your help and all the effort.

All the best,

Vince