[peel] Is it sad...?

ukbongo@... ukbongo@...
Fri Jan 31 20:54:27 CET 2014

Thanks for the support, chaps.
You are right, Mark. Cassettes, largely, are no longer made. I did see one company, Phoenix, who produced audiophile Metal plus quality Chrome and very clean Ferrichrome on a limited edition basis, relatively recently, but I think they are now almost sold out. I don't think anyone else makes 'new' tapes so we now rely on old stock in warehouses and 'used' examples holding off-air recordings of Kajagoogoo to wipe and re-use.
I've tried my best to grab a heap of Metal and Chrome tapes but, due to the relatively low bit rate of most recordings on MOO (understandable, I realise, because of the limited disc space), I wonder if they are pure overkill and maybe I should limit myself to TDK Ferrichromes or similar.
Despite being surrounded by top notch digital equipment (and am even on the verge of buying an Astell & Kern AK120 - seen that?) I am rather a Luddite, preferring my tweaked Sony WM-D6C portable tape deck as my mobile music player (the gear favoured by journalists in the 80s but also containing guts that challenge a Nakamichi in terms of audiophile quality).

Paul