Shirley Collins 1969 Top Gear

ken ken_garner@...
Sat Jan 11 10:53:22 CET 2014

Thanks to Dave and Mark for alerting me to this new information , which I will add to my updated index file, just in case there is ever a full reprint of the Peel Sessions sessionography (don't hold your breath).

Just a couple of points to add, relative to the extract from Steve Ashley's book:

- I see now only today that my session air date listing in the sessionography is wrong, though I have ti correctly in the shows chronology: this session was broadcast on the 5th of February 1969, not the 5th of March, 8 days after it was recorded.

- the sessions as not recorded in Maida Vale, but at S1 in the sub-basement of Broadcasting House.

- this explains Dave Menday's memory of being in the lift at BH, although the producer called 'John' he recalls, would not have been John Walters,but  John F Muir, producer of Peel's NIGHT RIDE at the time, and who confirmed to me when I researched the book all this years ago that he had produced this one himself.

- because most of John F Muir's tapes were taken and wiped after he left Radio 1, it is extremely unlikely that the original tapes of this session survive, though I will pass this query on to John (my friend John Cavanagh is in regular contact with him).

- what is more likely is that an off-air recording of the show exists somewhere, as this was still the FM Night Ride slot after midnight on 5 March 1969, and indeed may already have sufficed and be in existence somewhere!

Ken