[peel] Is it sad...?

stuartb@... stuartb@...
Sat Feb 1 00:16:44 CET 2014

I would say that much of the below par audio in the archive is due to poor or degraded tape quality or non-optimised tape playback, though some of it was unquestionably poorly encoded low bit rate mp3s or recorded from the early days of internet radio or even AM sources. At times the optimod compression settings compromised broadcast sound quality to such an extent that even well-recorded FM shows from the 90s sound more tiring to the ear than a good FM or even AM recording from the late 70s/early 80s.

 I'd like to think that with expanded disk space that more recent rippings use decent bitrates.

I still have a few unused sealed cassettes, mainly BBC branded, but I last used a cassette to actually record anything way back in 2006.
Stuart