[peel] Derby Box - May 1980

Stuart Brooks stuartb@...
Sat Dec 27 13:11:25 CET 2014

Album/Track title from UB40 and track title from Dead Can Dance.

Taped a few Keith Hudson back in the day

Just listening to the Cornershop session again from Mike’s BoP58 fantastically ramshackle and discordant

From: mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2014 10:43 PM
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Derby Box - May 1980

Working me way thru the 1980 Derby tapes - a labour of love (is that an album title?) !

Nice to hear some Keith Hudson on the 14th May, an extended one as well, heaven, Nuh Skin Up, and when JP says it's been a fave in his house, that was nice... The first K. Hudson I heard was "Civilisation" off the first Frontline sampler LP, brilliant reggae. The bubbly/synth effects on Nuh are excellent, timeless... The previous 1980 show had Ricky's Hand by Fad Gadget, which I taped at the time and regard as a new-wave classic. I remember/love the amazing/incredible street-poetry art of "36 Hours" by the Bard Of Salford, maybe his best ? And the Soap album by Magazine which I bought at the time even though I was poor ; I think "Philadelphia" and "Model Worker" are the best songs on that platter (and the best songs of 1980, tbh) ....

Happy Xmas and Peace and LOVE to all my readers and especially the guys who facilitated the bringing/sharing of the Derby tapes ....