[peel] Re: Derby Box begins..

thebarguest@... thebarguest@...
Sat Dec 13 23:10:17 CET 2014

Many thanks guys, these tapes are actually better audio quality than if the BBC released (edited) versions!! My faves so far are the 78 shows where Peely is really being himself, playing the best of the "old school" like BJH as well as the new DIY new-wave (great to hear "Chairs Missing" when it was new). In 79/80, sadly, he became a bit Maoist/Stalinist by only playing new-wave, which of course, begs the age-old "Peel" conundrum/question - was his playlist his own, sincere choice of the best recent releases or was it geared just to keep him the mythical guru of pure "new" music ?
 Having seen/heard Morrissey and Bragg circa 1983 recently, I thought - "God, they can't sing for toffee, their success must have been 90% down to fashion"... Although I do think  "The Queen Is Dead" is a great album !!!