Blackburn's revenge

Tom Roche troche2255@...
Tue Aug 12 16:49:38 CEST 2014

That was an interesting read. His claim that Peel was actually indifferent
to the Perfumed Garden music is barmy... esp considering Peel had just
returned after years here in the US seeing/hearing Texas blues up close and
Beefheart and other avant-gardists in Sunset Strip clubs in LA.

Odd - or predictable - that the Guardian would go with the hed "Tony
Blackburn: ‘John Peel looked upon me as the devil for some reason’" which
covers 2 paragraphs in a 30 paragraph story.

Well you gotta sell papers I guess, and any headline with "devil" in it
gets you clicks right there. Or perhaps the headline "Tony Blackburn: 26
Years in Exile on Local Stations" would be more accurate... but less
effective - to use the new term - as "clickbait.

By the way, the new James Brown biopic is a must-see. Fine work, and a
mountain of fine music.

By the way, I still do a weekly radio show, Tuesdays midnight UK time from
Atlanta. Tonights show is a hour of James Brown rarities culled from
Southern US bargian bins over the years. Streams via the website of radio
station WMLB.

Hmmm I guess I'm "exiled to local stations" too.

Tom In Atlanta