RIP Mike Robinson

aadam jacobs aadamjacobs@...
Wed Sep 25 17:21:41 CEST 2013

Via facebook:
Andy Kershaw
I was very saddened to hear last night - from my friend Ken Garner, author of the definitive In Session Tonight - that veteran BBC radio sound engineer, Mike Robinson, has died. Mike ("Robbo") was a really lovely, ever cheerful bloke who engineered countless Peel and Kershaw sessions at Maida Vale studios. He was also responsible for the sound (live or recorded) at hundreds of concerts broadcast by BBC radio. Ever humble, Mike would never boast that much of the technical expertise necessary to link up the whole world for Live Aid was his.

In Room 318, he was known to Walters as Bag O' Shite Robinson. This nickname arose from routine exchanges on the phone between Walters and Mike following the recording of a Peel session...

Walters: "How was that band of Peel's in the studio yesterday?"

Mike: "Bag o'shite."

Walters: "No change there, then. On we go!"