the clash session

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Tue Oct 15 21:12:28 CEST 2013

unfortunately this has now disappeared off iplayer and I (as predicted) didn't garner the relevant quotation - has anyone saved it for posteriority

________________________________
 From: MARK LUETCHFORD <m.luetchford@btopenworld.com>
To: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 8 October 2013, 22:27
Subject: the clash session

Listened to Cerys matthews on weekend 6music The Clash told the story about the failed session. Their version was different to thos recorded on teh wiki :
	* None. One attempt, scheduled for 24 April 1978, was abandoned. Peel noted in his diary the circumstances surrounding this: ' They actually got as far as recording the backing tracks, but then they were so out of their heads they couldn't finish it, and decided the BBC's equipment wasn't good enough. It was one of those things where you thought: How do you argue with stupidity on this level? Not a very punk attitude, I thought.' (Peel, J./Ravenscroft, S., Margrave Of The Marshes, Corgi Books, 2006, p. 368.)
	* However, Ken Garner's The Peel Sessions contains an anecdote by Bill Aitken, the engineer on that date, which casts doubt on Peel's recollection. Aitken suggests that, when he inquired after Topper Headon's dog, the rest of the band made fun of Headon because of this. The session then became increasingly negative and was finally cancelled by the group (Garner, K., The Peel Sessions, BBC Books, 2007, p. 99)
They say it was sever musical differences with engineers and that Peel held it against them ... I won't have time to listen again but someone else may be able to and then update?