[peel] More SL: The Kershaw Tapes

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Fri Oct 4 10:47:07 CEST 2013

PS Thank you to the good Dr.

PPS I went to see Kanda Bongo Man a couple of weeks ago in a small town called Rye in Sussex - as part of the Rye Festival. It was great to see him again and although his band wasn't as tight as it used to be. It was quite strange - his car broke down on teh way and he was 2 hours late so we had the Rye Ukulele band as a support act. He arrived on a AA van with a citroen people carrier on the back - with 4 members of band and instruments with not a hint of rancour that's waht I call dedication. I was 50 this year but was one of the youngest in the audience, it was in a church hall, but he got almost every body dancing (not me I am of the John Peel persuasion when it comes to not shaking my body!) and it must have been like the equivalent of when he first started out in Zaire - eg playing small community venues who did not know his music but were grabbed by the infectious sounds. The only difference being taht the majority of this audience would not have
 been familiar with Soukous. I presume he now lives in UK. It seems that he has survived a bit better than the Bhundu boys but the days of playing stadia are behind him although he did play Womad a couple of years ago. Does anyone know what happened to Diblo? I don't think he was in the band - the guitarist wasn't of his age or skill! It is very sad that the enthusiasm with which we greeted this music in the 80s and 90s has not treated all of the stars well ... but my fedora off to Kanda and really pleased that he is still touring so people can still discover and fall in love with his music all again.

Mark

________________________________
 From: MARK LUETCHFORD <M.Luetchford@...>
To: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 4 October 2013, 9:06
Subject: Re: [peel] More SL: The Kershaw Tapes

Looks like we may be getting whole Kershaw shows from the SL tapes. In some senses this is more valuable (heresy - wash my mouth out!) than the Peel shows as the records he played were often even more obscure and may only exist in folk/world museum collections and those of people like Andy - although did he not have to sell it when he was down on his luck so maybe he doesn't even have them anymore? Wonder if he knows this is happening (or cares?!) and may want to have a digital version of some of his collection ...

mark