Radio 1 Chart Show / Tommy Vance (OT)

Dr Mango dr_mango2004@...
Tue Jan 29 00:20:38 CET 2013

Over Christmas I ripped a few short clips of Radio One's Sunday evening chart show from a tape in my collection. I thought they might be of interest to fans of the Top 40 or Tommy Vance - I can't imagine there's legions of Simon Beast fans. Anyway, clips are as follows:

30 July 1983 (9:43)
Source: MW
Number 2 song (Freeez) then chart rundown 20 - 2 and the #1 song (Paul Young)
Presented by Tommy Vance. Plus handover to Annie Nightingale.

3 Dec 1983 (3:56)
Source: FM mono
Top 10 countdown then "Britain's number one" (Billy Joel).
Presented by Tommy Vance.

10 Dec 1983 (18:54)
Source: FM mono
Wham then into the top 10 with Marilyn, Slade, Thompson Twins, Billy Joel.
Presented by Tommy Vance.

14 Jan 1984 (10:43)
Source: FM mono
The top 3: Status Quo, Howard Jones, Paul McCartney (preceded by top 10countdown).
Presented by Simon Beast.

Note - dates of the chart are taken from the official Top 40 website. These are not the dates of broadcast, which would have been the following Sunday after the date that the charts were released.

The tape in question was a cheapo unbranded one. I recorded these things on a Binatone radio / cassette player that had a nasty habit of chewing up tapes; particularly cheapo unbranded ones. Evidence of mangling can be heard on a few of these clips. Also, the right-hand stereo channel was often littered with dropouts on the recordings so I've mastered the FM ones as a mono file. The source was mono FM anyway.

Files are on the mooo server here:

http://mooo.peelwiki.com/dl/dr_mango/Top40/

Dr Mango