[peel] More new files...

Pete Conkerton klacktoveedesteen@...
Mon Dec 16 11:27:15 CET 2013

The Fall/Motown story is quite amusing, but comes from 1984 when the Fall were having their customary label problems. According to "Hip Priest" by Simon Ford:

"...One unlikely offer came from US label Motown, where an enthusiastic A&R man had offered Smith a £46,000 advance. 'The funny thing was', Smith said, 'this guy at Motown asked for some of our old stuff he could listen to and the only thing I had to hand was Hex Enduction Hour and the first line on that is, "Where are the obligatory ni**ers?" I thought, "When they hear that, we've had it." '. Smith was correct. It was not long before Motown's head office contacted Smith with its verdict: 'We see no commercial potential in this band whatsoever' "

Cheers aye, Pete