[peel] Muffled tapes

Roger Carruthers unity.gain@...
Mon Sep 17 21:25:12 CEST 2012

Generally there are three things that could cause this: a dirty head, a
magnetised head and/or mis-aligned head (azimuth).

Your first, and easiest solution is a cotton bud and alcohol ­ if your bud
comes away covered in brownish kak , you're probably sorted.
If not, then try to borrow a head demagnetiser ­ but take great care to use
it exactly as per the instructions. Turn it on/off well away from your
heads, move it very slowly in the vicinity of your machine whilst it's on,
and avoid sudden movements near the heads ­ yes, you'll feel like a dick,
but it helps to pretend you're a bomb disposal expert de-fusing a bomb ;-)
As a final resort, adjust the azimuth (if you can ­ not all machines will
allow this without some heavy surgery). Again, probably left to an expert.

But having said all this, none of these should cause an intermittent
problem, except possibly an azimuth problem where the head was a bit loose
and able to shift itself about ­ which is not good.
So your best bet might just be to try another deck ­ beg, steal or borrow;
there are some tasty decks to be had from that BBC auction, which ends in a
couple of days, Nakamichi's, Denons etcŠ.

Šactually, come to think of it, maybe we should chip in and grab a couple of
Naks for the group - do we have any Londoners who could view/pick up for us?
They're currently up to only around £20 a piece!
Cheers
Roger