Pleasant Valley Sunday

Colin colin_ellis@...
Sun Nov 11 13:09:25 CET 2012

Apropos pallets on the floor, a contributor to a translators' forum says:

"A "pallet" is an old word for a straw mattress; the idea is a thrown-together, hastily contrived bed, on which he may rest.

"So, a pallet is not a plank: it's related to (French) paillasse I would imagine. Nothing masochistic about this, quite the contrary."

Wikipedia has a list of versions of the song of that name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Me_a_Pallet_on_the_Floor