A new England

lorcan58 lorcan58@...
Wed May 23 00:18:15 CEST 2012

Ah, that's especially interesting because I was just listening to the series recently completed on 6Music and when they're talking about Scarborough Fair Paul Simon name-checked Martin Carthy as being the originator of the version used by Simon & Garfunkel.

I wonder if Martin Carthy said it for comic effect?

Now that I think about it, Carthy did a stunning cover of the Bee Gee's "New York Mining Disaster 1941" which turned what was (for me) a very ordinary pop song into a gritty folk classic, a song finally finding its true spiritual home.