Peel '71 intro

Darren Giddings darrg@...
Mon Mar 12 01:24:09 CET 2012

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, so apologies if so ...

In 1988 the BBC put out a souvenir 7" single to celebrate the 21st
anniversary of Radio 1. Part of the disc was a six-minute compilation
of all the shows broadcast on 15th December 1971, including Peel
doing 'Sounds of the 70s'. It's only about 45 seconds of Peel, but of
course it's an otherwise "lost year" and only Peel could be recorded
for posterity and manage to cock up the introduction!

The whole six minute thing is here: http://www.colander.org/peel/
r1-15-12-71.mp3 (14.6MB)
It features the likes of Tony Blackburn, Jimmy Young &c and so is
both achingly nostalgic to those of us of a certain vintage, and also
gives a good idea of what Peel was up against.

If you just want to hear the Peel bit, I have chopped it out and put
it here: http://www.colander.org/peel/jp-15-12-71.mp3 (2.7MB)

I wonder if the BBC actually recorded the whole day's broadcasting on
15 Dec 71? They were prone to taking 'examples' of things for
posterity. Nice to think there might be at least one 1971 'SOTS'
gathering dust in the archives.

Darrg