[peel] Re: OT : Friday Rock Show & 6 Music 'Classic Concerts'

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Sat Mar 3 09:46:02 CET 2012

At 23:49 02/03/2012, you wrote:

>This is a "just back from the pub" response so please forgive any
>inaccuracies. My guess is that (in some cases at least) they are
>broadcasting from a digitized TD source and certainly some of the TD
>discs are a bit of a dogs breakfast due to the time limitations of
>vinyl. Maybe that is the problem with the Queen show, I think there
>is a "mic in front of the TV" cassette in a box somewhere in my toy
>room. I was listening to the Def Leppard TD (thank you Paul) before
>going to the pub tonight and at least one track is missing compared
>to the original broadcast. Of course sometimes this works the other
>way, the Stone The Crows rebroadcast (and TD) are 50 odd minutes
>long when the original broadcast would have been about 30.
>
>At least Chris Hawkins only butchers the beginning and end of th
>show. A lot of the early Dream Ticket shows had station/DJ indents
>popping up between songs...

Let's not forget how the system works    In most cases 6Music don't
do their own butchering
They order shows (and sessions) from a catalogue and get CDs from the
BBC Archive
They get them how they are in the Archive.    Over the years these shows may
have been tightened up to fit various time slots - tracks removed at
the request of
the bands managements and record companies and so on.   We have a more
purist view to these shows now but that has not always been the case

The Gideon Coe show is essentially a dj show and the live segment is just that
Its' only recently he's started to broadcast a complete session a
night - usually
its just a couple of tracks from a session - very irritating for the
collector but
that's the way it is

martinw