Peelenium frenzy!

lorcan58 lorcan58@...
Tue Jan 31 00:39:12 CET 2012

I'm pretty sure they had 78s by 1900, although from what I remember of the Peelenium the earliest entries were virtually unlistenable because of the surface noise. You could even hear each revolution of the disc expressed as a wobble in the music.

I think Peel played real 78s for the Pig's Big 78, but surely the 78s from 1900 would have been far too valuable to place in the hands of a DJ? I imagine the BBC library would have transcribed them to some digital format?